Friday, 9 October 2009

Group Communication - The Roles

During the break after my A levels , I got a job at a department where it was divided into 4 different groups. I was mainly helping out at the events group, helping to run and organize events.

One of the characteristics of group can be clearly seen. Interdependence is one strong characteristic I observed. The different members on the team were dependent on each other to get their work done and get their event up and running.

For example, the person in charge of the event was dependent on the logistics person in charge to get the necessary arrangements and materials needed so that the program can run smoothly. The logistics person in charge was also at the same time dependent on the person planning the program to confirm the program and inform them what was needed.

With regards to task roles, the project manager ( every member of the team take up different roles in different events) was almost always the one taking note of the time, ensuring that they were within the time frame and ensuring that each member was up to date on their task , thus taking the coordinator role. When it come to maintenance roles , they would usually be the ones taking the standard setter and group observer role , ensuring everything is up to standard and on the correct course.

Others would usually be in the maintenance role of compromiser or observer though different individuals take up the role of kicking out unnecessary information and harmoniser when they deemed appropriate.

The members assigned to the logistics and program planning would usually take up the procedural technician role where they had to take note of every step and details, ensuring that even the tiniest detail and steps are taken care of. From ensuring the timings are not too tight to the food catering and right down to whether the signage are place appropriately.

Those who are not involved sometime takes up task role of the evaluator critic, giving their point of view of the things that are being done, looking at the whole event from an outsider’s point of view that may sometimes be clearer than those involved.

A few though always take up the energizer role in the list of task roles, brightening up the atmosphere when everyone was bored or tired from all the work.

In an office environment, would the focus be on building up the task roles (behavior that helps the group accomplish its tasks) or maintenance roles ( behaviors that enhance social climate of group) ?

I feel that maintenance roles would be the focus. I believe that these are the roles that maintain the whole group and only with all those roles built up would the tasks roles be more effective. The maintenance roles are sort of like the structure of the whole group and that with a good social climate ,the tasks roles would be better carried out as everyone has a direction and are happy and comfortable in the group and their roles. If the whole social climate was tense and unhappy, the task roles may not be as effectively carried out, as work performance may be affected with all the unhappiness. Thus it is necessary to build up maintenance roles first.

5 comments:

  1. HEY! (:

    Right you are. We see distribution of roles clearly in group projects. Some actually take on the roles subconsciously or automatically, some are assigned.

    However, do you think that this will get ambiguous in the workplace in future? The same people who used to assume more maintanence roles might start assuming more task roles for finanical or political reasons (get higher pay or curry favour to boss). So in a way, roles in the office are a lot harder to define, I think.

    Aiming (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that having clear division of roles definitely aid in the completing the tasks efficiently. More often than not, when one has multiple roles, he/she gets confused and do not know which to focus the energy on. When this happen to every member of the group, the energy gets too spread out that not one single role is fulfilled properly. Moreover, having a dedicated role allows one to take ownership and identity. So that will also aid in the completion of a given task.

    Although maintenance roles are important, I think that they not the most important roles. Especially in a task driven group, the leader is very important. He/she would hold the group together, ensure cohesiveness and to always point back to the task roles that need to be fulfilled. That is definitely beyond just the maintenance roles.

    Well, that's my 2cent's worth of thoughts!

    do view and comment too!
    http://becauseimacommstudent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wecritique:

    That is quite an insightful thought. Probably the roles get mixed up or overlap after some time like you said and I believe it is better to balance it up after awhile.

    But I was focusing more on like we have to build up maintenance roles because it would be the basis of everything that is going to happen... as I said it may very well affect the social climate of the office or team working on the particular project. Thus in a way I feel both are reliant on each other , where maintenance roles have to be strengthen, building a good relationship with colleagues and all would we then be able to work harmoniously in our tasks roles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would say that we all need one another in the group. Therefore each person actually plays a significant role, no matter how insignificant their duties might seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! =x

    I also used to work as office admins during post A'levels days. Ya, I observe pretty much to what you mentioned. Group work is very much place on group maintenace and interdependence.

    ReplyDelete